When you are looking for care, you first need to ask yourself:
Where do I want to be cared for?
- In-home care (where the care worker comes to your own home)
- Residential Care Home
A common misunderstanding with care is that when daily tasks become difficult or you or your family believe you are at risk on your own, that you will have no option but to move out of your home. Happily, however, this is not necessarily the case. Many care at home providers offer bespoke care packages that allow you to stay in your own home, ranging from shorter companionship visits to assist with daily tasks, to 24 hour, live-in care.
When you decide on the type of care you need, it is important to do some research on the providers.
- Ask locally for recommendations.
- Search online for care providers in your local area and create a shortlist of the companies that provide the services you require.
- Check their latest report on the Care Inspectorate website.
- Look online at any reviews and testimonials they have.
- Call some providers to ask any questions you may have.
Below are some great questions that you may want to ask.
- What training do you give your staff?
- What capacity do you have and how soon could you start?
- Will I be tied into a contract?
- What are your costs?
- Will I have the same care worker each visit?
- Do you have an information pack you could send me?
- Do you have a local office that I could visit to speak to someone?
- Could someone come to see me in my own home to discuss our needs?
You should now be in a better position to make a more informed decision as to what type of care you are looking for, and the companies that may fit your needs. Never be afraid to ask questions, and trust your instincts.
You will find more quality questions you can ask of a prospective provider here.
Bright Care is a family-founded business providing care and companionship to the elderly in the peaceful comfort of their own home. Get in touch to talk to our dedicated care team and discover what’s possible for elderly loved ones.