12 Quality Questions to ask when Selecting a Care Provider
Finding the right care provider to look after a loved one could sometimes be a time consuming and confusing process. It can be hard to understand what really makes the difference between one care provider and the others. However, asking the right questions can easily improve the selection process and, often, allow the decision to be taken more quickly with full peace of mind. We have therefore listed below 12 key questions to ask to a care provider to have a clear understanding of how they operate, and to comprehend if they are the best choice for your needs.
1. What is the track record of the manager and what have they achieved in their post to date?
2. How does the organisation screen and recruit staff?
3. What characteristics does the organisation value most highly when hiring care staff? What characteristics would make someone unsuitable for working in your organisation?
4. How do they train new staff and what ongoing training occurs for existing staff?
5. What are the costs associated with the service? Is there any set up fees, on-going management fees, etc.?
6. How do we get in touch in an emergency?
7. Do they have a dedicated point of contact?
8. What were their Care Inspectorate grades and last inspection, and more crucially, which areas are they currently working on developing and improving?
9. How would you describe the culture of the organisation – what are their values?
10. How do we stay involved with my relatives care and how are we informed about things?
11. How do you maintain consistency in care staff? What happened if staff are ill or on holidays?
12. How do you ensure that your carers respect my relatives personal choices?
TOP TIP: The quality of a care provider always flows from the quality of the manager. Trust your instincts. If you believe you can work with the manager and the manager sets a great positive culture and is competent in their role, chances are they hire great staff and run a great service.
Bright Care is a family-founded business providing care and companionship to the elderly in the peaceful comfort of their own home. Get in touch to talk to our dedicated care team and discover what’s possible for elderly loved ones.