12 Quality Questions to ask when Selecting a Care Provider
- What is the track record of the manager and what have they achieved in their post to date?
- How does the organisation screen and recruit staff?
- What characteristics does the orgainsation value most highly when hiring care staff? What characteristics would make someone unsuitable for working in your organisation?
- How do they train new staff and what ongoing training occurs for existing staff?
- What are the costs associated with the service? Is their any set up fees, on-going management fees etc?
- How do we get in touch in an emergency?
- Do they have a dedicated point of contact.
- What were their Care Inspectorate grades and last inspection and more crucially which areas are they currently working on developing and improving?
- How would you describe the culture of the organisation – what are their values?
- How do we stay involved with my relatives care and how are we informed about things?
- How do you maintain consistency in care staff? What happened if staff are ill or on holidays?
- How do you ensure that your carers respect my relatives personal choices?
TOP TIP: The quality of a care provider always flows from the quality of the manager. Trust your instincts! If you believe you can work with the manager and the manager sets a great positive culture and is competent in their role, chances are they hire great staff and run a great service!